Tuesday, February 14, 2006

It's a start

Well, this is just the start of how I hope to help my family and friends know what I'm up to. Also maybe if it is in writing you guys can understand better what all the science mumbo-jumbo is.
So far I've been going to Midwestern State University forever, oh I mean for three years. I started in the fall of 2003. In those three years I have completed all of my coursework required for gradution. However I need to do a thesis to complete all of the requirements for graduation. So far I have chosen a research topic that I think I'm still interested in. I wrote a research proposal that was accepted by a committee of professors that I had to put together. I also wrote a different but similar proposal that I entered into a competition for a grant from the Texas Academy of Science. I won this competition (alongside another winner who was a Ph.D. student), and I received 1000 dollars to help me complete my research. This was a big accomplishment. This semester I am really cracking down on my work because I have a hope to one day finish this master's degree. Right now I think I can see a distant light at the end of the tunnel and it looks like I will be there in August. But I have to really work hard and I am at school almost every day of the week. This requires driving an hour and a half there and back but I think I can make it. My gas bill was 245 dollars for January but when I get done it will be worth it. To offset this cost, I started substituting for the Navajo junior and senior high school. I will sub any class they will let me and if I can sub 4-5 days out of the month then my gas bill is paid for. I was able to do this last month and I've already got a day and a half for this month.
Later I will post about my research and what it is that I do all day. I may not be a genius but one day you will call me Master...(evil cackle follows)

No comments: