Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Cricket Frog


I found this picture that I took years back while I was still going to Cameron University. I used to have time to go out looking for herps and on one of my trips I took a picture of this guy. Cricket frogs are small; about 1 inch or less. In our area they are usually a dark or light brown color. They can be found on the shores of ponds and lakes. Whereas most frogs have smooth, slimy skin, these cricket frogs have more warty skin similar to a toad. Cricket frogs sound similar to the sound of glass marbles being rubbed against each other. So even if you haven't seen one, maybe you have heard them before. The scientific name for cricket frogs is Acris crepitans.
To catch the cricket frogs there is no special method. I carry a medium-sized net and walk around the edge of the pond or lake while I look for the frogs on the ground. If they don't jump in the water right away, I chase them around. Many of them get away but I have managed to catch some. Dr. Scales has even helped me on a few occasions.
Because these frogs are so small, I don't get much skin from them. This is why the skin I have already collected is so important to me. This is why I am practicing right now on different frog skin.

No comments: