Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Tornado (unofficially) in Altus!

We lost our redbud tree when the whole tree was pulled out of the ground leaving a hole! I'm really sad about losing this tree because it was the most beautiful redbud I had ever seen :(
Branches from our neighbor's tree fell all around Brian's car not on it! Thank you, God!
We lost our shed and some of the contents. The shed is folded up against the fence and contents are lying around. This was the next morning so Brian had already picked up our grill which you can see at the right of the picture. That was turned over and sitting on its lid with the legs in the air. Oh, and some pieces of the shed are lying in our neighbor's yard!
Here's a look at the front of our house the next morning. Brian had to move the branch in the driveway so he could go to work. We had no electricity but the tech center did, so off to work!
Here's our neighbor's dog (on the right) who is staying in our backyard until things get fixed in theirs. The dog was chained to a tree that got blown over. Their electrical line also fell in the tree and yard, but we had already lost power before that. We were worried at first that she had died because she did not come when we called. The neighbors got home right after the storm. Brian and Pat found the dog out of her chain but still in the fallen tree.

So in case you didn't know, we had a tornado in Altus last Thursday, June 5th. It hit hardest on my part of town, the air force base, and in Blair. I said in the title "unofficial" because the base sounded the alarm but the town of Altus didn't. So the county officials cannot say it was a tornado, if you know what I mean. But we all know it was and some people have pictures of the funnel touching ground. The damage was really bad for some. We lost power on Thursday about 20 minutes before it hit (because of the high winds) and we got power back on Saturday evening. Our neighbor on the west side lost a tree and lots of branches of others, and they also lost one vehicle when a tree fell on the carport. I saw many homes with huge trees lying on their cars and one home I saw had part of the neighbor's tree in their house! Many homes also had partially lost their roofs. I can't even begin to describe all of the damage here. So, I am thankful to God that no one lost their homes and no one had died. I'm going to post a blog next that will only have pictures of my neighbor's.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got a little worried about the storm last Thursday, and i kept checking your blog for any news.
I'm glad you are all okay.
Congratulations on the new full-time Job.

Sam

elizabeth said...

Hi, I was on base with my two cusion while there mother was at work i have never been in a tornado i was scared so after it happened we seen lot of cars driving down the road so we drove around base to see what all happened Thank God nobody got hurt or killed.Take care.