Thursday, April 06, 2006

Driving--Roadkill

Okay, now you knew that this subject had to come up at some time when it comes to driving. Anyone who drives has seen roadkill at some time. Even if it is in town, there are birds, dogs, and cats. I have been driving for several years and have seen a lot of different roadkill. I thought I would try to make a list of all the animals I've seen dead on the road: coyotes, birds of all kinds (pigeons, doves, turkeys, vultures, hawks, etc.), bobcats, 2 mountain lions, porcupines, skunks, armadillos, dogs, cats, cows, racoons, foxes, turtles, toads, snakes, and deer. Well, that's the list I can think of for now. Remember, I have to make driving interesting. So identifying roadkill at 70 mph is a skill I've gained. I've imagined before a world where the animals are driving and the humans are running around. Mr. Racoon has to get to work that morning. As he's driving down the road, a big human runs out in the street. The human turns and looks at the approaching car with a surprised look on his face. The human stops and starts to run back to the side of the road. Oops! Too late, Mr. Racoon accidently hit the human. There it is, lying on the side of the road. The human was trying to get home, find food, or escape a predator, but Mr. Racoon doesn't think about that. Of course I know this is a weird thought, but I'm kind of a weird person! I thought I'd post pictures of roadkill but I didn't think you would want to see that. And yes, I actually do have some pictures....Being in all types of zoology classes where we went on lots of field trips got me some roadkill pictures! Besides seeing roadkill, I have also seen lots of live animals. I've actually seen a mountain lion twice, which is rare around here. All the animals that I've seen dead, I have seen alive too.

No comments: