Monday, December 11, 2006

10 Things You Can Do

Change a light--we switched all of our lights to the compact flourescent light bulbs two years ago; guess what? it's true--they are still going without having to change them. I'll let you know if they actually last the 5-7 years, but you'll have to wait.

Drive less--still working on that one!

Recycle more--does it count that I recycle the wal-mart sacks into trash bags? we need recycling facilities in our town!

Check your tires--of course I do this, and I get 37-40 mpg on my corolla! I think I want a hybrid camry next...

Use less hot water--I started doing all my laundry with cold water

Avoid products with alot of packaging--not having money helps me with this one

Adjust your thermostat--we put our thermostat from 68 last year to 66 this year. I can't really tell the difference. Besides, you're supposed to wear warmer clothes in the winter!

Plant a tree--We planted one a couple of years ago, but we also had one chopped down and are planning on chopping another one down next summer. I'll plant some bushes to make up for it!

Turn off electronic devices--do you know that those cell phone chargers take up so much energy just by being plugged in when they're not in use? I started unplugging all my devices that I could (toaster, blender, mixer, cell phone charger, curling iron) because just leaving them plugged in wastes electricity! Now if I could just talk Brian into turning off the computer more!

No comments: