Thursday, June 15, 2006

Mosquitos!!

I hate the summer time when the mosquitos are out in full force! (Although, in Oklahoma we really didn't have a winter, so I don't think I got much of a break from mosquitos.) Every year it gets worse for me. As a teenager I never really noticed getting mosquito bites, and I didn't wear insect repellent. But now the mosquitos flock around me every time I go outside. Even in middle of the day!!

Here you can see what happens when I get a mosquito bite. I put a half-dollar there just to give you an idea of the size. I get a dark red center with a pink halo. And of course it itches like crazy. This redness and swelling will last about 2 weeks but the itching continues for a couple weeks more. I think it's obvious that I've become allergic to mosquito bites. So now I just have to wear the insect repellent, which I hate. I don't like chemicals all over my body!
Watch out for those mosquitos!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, move up here - your mom would like that a lot. This year or last, Avon actually came out with a Skin so soft repellent - but for years people have used the SSS spray and it worked. That is a nasty looking bite there. Does baking soda and water paste help the itching at all? Midge

Lisa said...

Mom--I do get little brown spots after the bite goes away, but the spots eventually go away too. I will try some Skin-so-soft when I find someone who sells Avon. Surprisingly I don't know anyone that does.
Midge--yes, I could move up there, but the mosquitos might follow me! I have not tried baking soda/water paste, but I use the anti-itch creams. They work for a couple of hours. I try not to use them too much, so I will try the baking soda/water paste too. Thanks for the tip!